Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cry It Out

We have created a monster.
His name is Jack, alias Jack Jack, Mr. Man, Jack Jack Attack.
His favorite song is by the Beastie Boys "No Sleep 'till Brooklyn.
His motto is "I'll sleep when I am old."

Oh wait, he will sleep. In my bed, while nursing.

I have a feeling if we tried the cry it out method, and left him in his crib, he would cry for HOURS. He is persistent and stubborn. He knows what he wants.

I never thought I would co-sleep or have a problem with cry it out. But I do. I just don't think it is right to let a baby scream un-comforted for hours on end. I don't believe he is manipulating me, he just wants to be with me. However, I am tired of co-sleeping now, it served its purpose and my back is ready to sleep well again. I just don't know how to get him out of my bed. I don't care if he sleeps in our room. We have a port-a-crib set up for him. He sleeps about 4 hours in it.

I have tried the No Cry Sleep Solution, and the problem with that is that he KNOWS we are trying to put him to sleep. He fusses and screams until we bring him to bed. It is very frustrating. I am willing to let him cry for up to ten minutes, but like I said he is persistent. We tried letting him cry for up to 10 minutes, checking, and continuing that until he falls asleep. It just never really worked for him. Then when it sort of did, we all got sick. He nurses quite frequently in the night, so at some point, it was just easier to bring him to bed. Night weaning is not an option until he is at least a 1 year and 5 weeks old.

We just don't know what to do. We are hoping we can solve the problem while we are home for the summer and don't have to work. We can handle late nights a bit better.

Does anyone have the magic wand that puts babies to sleep without tears?

Oh and by the way, Isabel sleeps like a baby! Goes down happy and awake, puts herself to sleep and wakes up once to nurse. We used the No Cry Sleep Solution for her, too. So it isn't all parenting!

2 comments:

anofferingoflove said...

i dont have any magic, but i must say this post was very reassuring to read. my girl is JUST LIKE jack. i was feeling like i was doing something wrong, so it was good to hear that you can do the exact same method with different babies and get different results. im just holding on to faith that she will eventually want to sleep in her own bed, without my boob in her mouth! ;-)

Two Moms, Two Monkeys said...

Oh you just made my day! I could have written this post myself! That is the beauty of having twins, they always keep it interesting.

Our Jack is named "the big guy" and he sleeps with us STILL in our bed and only goes to sleep once I've nursed him. He no longer wakes up (most of the time) to nurse so once he falls asleep he is out until morning. However, we have no idea how we are going to get him OUT of our bed! We also have the playpen/pack'n'play set up in our room for him but he never sleeps in it. Only takes his naps there. For the record, his crib has NEVER been slept in.

Oh but let me tell you about "The Little Guy", he goes down in his crib at 7:30pm and wakes up at 7am every.single.day without a fuss. We didn't do any sleep method with either of them, it just kind of happened this way.

Neither of us could handle CIO, it just sounds so mean. We figure we got one down without tears, its just a matter of getting baby #2 into the nursery with his brother without the tears. This is so hard when you have two babies because you don't want the fussy one to wake the other one and "untrain" him so to speak.

I know none of this is helpful, but I just wanted to let you know you are not alone, and also wish you luck! If you figure something out, please let me know. I don't intend to stop the night nursing for a while either, so I'm sure our situation won't change for quite some time. ;)